Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Drama in the Carpool Lane

Everyone close to me knows that my latest plight is to learn to not take things so seriously and personally when others are rude, hateful, jealous, and downright mean.

You see, I am the type that when I get cut off in traffic or snubbed by an acquaintance, I take it sooo personally. I try (but am by no means perfect) to be nice to others, and when others aren't always nice back, I get my feelings hurt. I always thought that I needed to say something about their rudeness, which obviously just escalates the situation. So again, here I am in my vulnerability, trying desperately to learn this lesson, and fast.

This morning, at the drop off car line at my daughter's school, I was given an opportunity to exercise patience and understanding with someone who was not-so-nice.

Let me paint the picture for you. The elementary school has a two-lane, one-way road in the very front of the school. The far right lane is for stopping and letting your children out, while the left lane is for thru traffic to get to the parking lot, and exit the school. Most people will drop off their children and move over to the left lane to leave the school. Seems pretty simple, right? Some people have more than one child or take longer, and there is really no process of "waiting your turn", as there is 100 feet of sidewalk on which you can drop your child off.

Well anyhoo, I had pulled up to the school with my kid and the neighbor kids in tow. I was 3 cars back from the front door of the school. I let the kids out and proceeded to get over to the left, so I could go home. Well a lady in front of me started honking at me as I passed her while she was parked in the right lane. She obviously thought I was being rude and not letting her over. Now, I am not a mind reader, and didn't know she was trying to get out. 

Now, I knew my intent was not bad! And I didn't expect so much drama taking the kids to school at 8:30. I haven't even had time to brush my teeth yet, let get into a fight at my daughter's school!

Ok, so to the part that I was "tested" in this lesson... when I was next to her as we were trying to exit, she started waving her hands and yelling at me through her window (its snowing). The old me would have immediately engaged in this not-so-nice behavior, and very easily been brought down to the same level. I would have yelled at her back through my window, I would have gotten on my phone to call my best friend to tell her about the "bitch" in the carpool lane, and it would have ruined several hours of my day. Honestly, it was almost like I witnessed the scenario from a third party perspective, and I almost laughed! But I didn't, as that would have been disrespectful. Obviously, this woman was having a bad day, and I didn't need to add fuel to the fire.

So you know what I did? I made the "I'm sorry" hand gesture, smiled, and kindly waved. And I secretly hoped to myself that she is shown kindness and love today.

xo,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment