Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Never Gonna Be a Supermodel

There is something I have just got to say, as we as a society have created a GIANT monster. I am so tired of people, especially women, hating and berating themselves. It is absolutely ridiculous that we live in a day and age in which we collectively believe that only certain people are worthy or beautiful, that you have to be a certain size to be valued, or you have to look a certain way to be attractive.

I was at the airport the other day, and I saw this woman that looked so sad. I was there for a while, as my daughter's flight was significantly delayed, so I was around this woman for about 45 minutes. I happened to see her smile at one point, and she was so lovely in that moment, so at peace. This strange woman at the airport did not look like Cindy Crawford, and she was not 5'11'', nor was she a size 2. But you know what? This woman was gorgeous, her spirit was beautiful. And her husband looked at her like she was the only woman on earth. I have a sneaky suspicion, however, that she does not realize her full value in life and that she could not see her own beauty, and that broke my heart.

I have so many lovely woman friends, and I think they are all so beautiful. Sadly, most of them are so freakin' hard themselves! Ladies, I wish you could see what I see in you. I wish you could see that true beauty is about grace and strength, and that the women in my life are strong and graceful beyond words. I watch you ladies work in or outside of the home, be loving mothers, be giving wives, and be loyal friends. You have so much on your plates, and are at times, underappreciated. You ladies are fiercely stable, holding everyone's life around you together. And you do it with a smile on your face and love in your heart.

It took me a long time to really grasp that the women society idolizes on TV seem perfect because they have TEAMS of people to help them. And I am so not trying to downplay these women, because I think there are a lot of great examples of women to follow in the public eye (and some not so great examples) but my point is that we cannot begin to compare ourselves to anyone, especially people that have a staff of trainers, nutritionists, personal assistants, accountants, and nannies. We all have a completely different load to carry, and we have got to stop comparing ourselves to celebrities, or even to our neighbors. Our purpose isn't to try and fit a mold, but to be ourselves in all of our glory in the way that we were created.

I came to grips with the fact that I will never be the best, prettiest, best dressed, most attractive, smartest person on earth, and I am OK with that. And guess what, you won't be either... Do you know why? Because every one of those qualities is subjective. Every single person on earth has a unique definition of what those words mean to them. So stop giving away your power by letting other people define you, judge you, and place you where "they" see fit. Our worth has got to stop coming from external sources, like your boyfriend, husband, parents, and friends. We have got to find value in ourselves, and love ourselves exactly the way we are. That is beautiful! 

My hope is that you see your value and beauty today.

xo,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment