Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Tipping Point

Those of you that are close to me know (or may suspect) that I have had a drastic change in my perspective of the world. I can't explain it, and I am not sure when it happened, but I do know that I see that we don't have to live in such dysfunction of the world. My tipping point was a recent trip to NYC that my husband surprised me with on our 5th anniversary. My sweet husband had planned on a nice, relaxing weekend away, but it ended up turning my world upside down in the most divine way. Its amazing how you receive exactly what you need, when you are open to receiving it. I won't say that I have always been cynical, maybe just jaded. And it became increasingly worse as I grew up and saw the negativity in the world and in people. I didn't have hate, necessarily, I just chose to turn a blind eye, thinking there was nothing I could do. But NYC showed me a macrocosm of the world, and it that macrocosm, I saw love, acceptance, perseverance, temperance, and human strength laced with true compassion and surprisingly, I found NYC to be mostly void of Ego. Excuse my language, but it is the only phrase that fits, people gave a shit. People supported their neighbors, they supported their local business owners, and businesses genuinely appreciated consumers choosing to shop/dine with them. I have seen that this has become such a lost idea on the rest of America that I have had the privilege to visit. We (definitely including myself) have become apathetic to our fellow man.

My trip to NYC softened my hardened heart. I realized that if one of us is failing, we are all failing. This occurs within our own families, neighborhoods, schools, communities, states, nations, and the world. That means we are failing at a disgusting rate. It may seem like a massive undertaking to "save the world" but I believe it all begins with a massive paradigm shift. Its our responsibility (especially those that know better) to spread love, not hate; to spread acceptance, not prejudice. People will definitely question your motives, which can be discouraging. It can make you want to curl up into your apathy again, but we can't do that if we care about the world we are creating for our children and grandchildren. So many people operate outside of integrity and honor, but love them anyway. Turn the other cheek. I don't mean get taken advantage of, I mean give them the opportunity to see your genuine care and concern, so that they too can "melt" their apathy away. And you mostly will not be acknowledged for doing good and treating people better than they treat you, which doesn't matter because it isn't about you (lose your ego, folks). And you may never see the lives that you can and will touch, but know that the hardest people outside sometimes are the softest inside, in need of the most love and support because they are hurting. And you can know and feel good about the fact that hopefully, somewhere deep down, you touched them. Melting the icy-ness of the world begins with you and me.

I want to share with you this quote that was given to me by a dear friend that came into my life over a decade ago. Susan, you believed in me when I didn't believe in myself, and I am forever grateful to you for that. I lost touch with Susan many years ago, but my hope is that we someday cross path, and this post is dedicated to her.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.' We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." 
-Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love, Reflections on the Principles of 'A Course in Miracles'

I have lost my fear. It doesn't mean I am perfect; to err is human. What I do know is that I want to do better, to be better, and to lift people up where they are. I appreciate you reading my humble writings,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment