Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Recovering Negaholic

I have been thinking a lot lately about positive vs negative, good vs evil, bad vs good, yin vs yang, knowledge vs wisdom...You get the point. I am recently extremely fascinated by the dualism of life.

I no longer work in "Corporate America" after a decade of the grind. And I no longer live a "conventional" life. I work when I feel energized to work, I play when I need a break, and I rest when I am tired. This shift in my lifestyle isn't by choice, so before you start judging, understand that my life was so unbalanced that it almost killed me. And I fought, hard, to be the old me. And I lost.

In my new life, I don't have to go grocery shopping during "rush hour". I did, however, run to the grocery store last night for dinner ingredients. I forgot how powerful it can be to be in close proximity to such negativity (ie-anywhere in the US after a long day's work). As I was driving to the store, I was the recipient of frustration from a pissed of driver. At the store, again I was the recipient of anger and frustration. The old me would have gotten defensive, with a "what's your problem" response. The new me, the Recovering Negaholic, realizes that it has nothing to do with me, I am just the target in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was only at the grocery store 30 minutes, but I felt angry and frustrated. Yuck!

I have been seeing a lot lately about the impact of negative emotions. I know, I know...Here I go with some abstract opinion about how we can manifest what we want through our positive thoughts, right? No!

I have read the Secret, watched the movie. I have read probably 50 books on psychology, happiness, relationships, love, etc. We are all looking for something to help us. But the idea that we can "manifest" winning the lottery, or whatever, always was a little out there for me. But let me just share this idea with you:

As we experience life, our unconscious (subconscious) records thoughts and feelings, and most of the fundamental unconscious thoughts and feelings (trust vs mistrust, autonomy vs shame and doubt, and initiative vs guilt) happen BEFORE THE AGE OF 6!! That means that at the heart of our persuasion, we are pretty much our 6 year old self running around in an adult body. Man, does that explain a lot about some guys I have dated! All kidding aside, It is also estimated that 95% of our unconscious thoughts and feelings repeat 24 hours a day. You have probably heard the term "tapes". Dr. Phil uses this term often. This is what he is talking about. Your brain is unconsciously controlling your life, for the better, or for the worse.








The unconscious mind is where MOST of the work gets done. Sucks that we can't control that, huh? The unconscious mind is the source of our hidden beliefs, fears, and attitudes that interfere with our everyday life (Psychology Today). It is also the source of our creativity, intuition, inspiration, and inner knowing. And it far more complex than we are consciously aware of. This is why you sometimes "know things" or have strange dreams, or accomplish something you didn't think you could. Your unconscious mind, from time to time, will say, "It's ok... I've got this!"

Now let's talk about energy. Energy is a usable and measurable power or force. And since you live on planet Earth (gravity is an energy) and you probably pay an electric bill every month, I think it's safe to say that we all believe in energy. Do you believe that your emotions, thoughts, and feelings have energy? Do you get jittery when you are excited? Why do you think you want to sleep when you are depressed? That is energy, or lack of energy.

I did a little research about the energy surrounding emotions. I found that our thoughts form electromagnetic waves, which are forms of energy. Furthermore, the concept of empathy (sharing another's feelings) has been studied for hundreds of years. So are feelings contagious? I think this is a very real possibility. 

If  both positive and negative emotions are contagious, that explains a hell of a lot about the current state of our world. We are collectively a bunch of negative, unhappy individuals, and we are just spreading it around, like a virus. Evolutionary speaking, negative emotions are more powerful and contagious because back in the day we had to defend ourselves against tigers and other men, or whatever. We had to be able to sense danger and fear for protection. Yet, here we are in 2014, and we seemingly haven't evolved out of that state of perpetual fear and danger.

I understand that most of us do not have the freedom to eliminate or stay away from negativity. Be conscious of it, and don't contribute to it. You can change the destiny of your inner child, and collectively, we can all stop being jerks to each other.

Peace,
K




No comments:

Post a Comment