Friday, November 15, 2013

Savages!

Why are women so destructive to other women. I was watching Sean Saves the World last night, and there was a skit about a father (Sean Hayes) role playing with his female friend (Megan Hilty) regarding disciplining his teenage daughter. Liz (Megan Hilty) said something along the lines of "Are you sure you are ready for this? Teenage girls are SAVAGES."

As a mother of a young daughter, I have dried many tears due to the unnecessary pain other girls have caused my daughter. And as a woman myself, I have been on the receiving end of LOTS of bitchiness in my day, and I am not proud to say I have been on the giving end as well. (No more mean girls!)

I was invited by a friend to a women's "group" this morning. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I felt compelled to go. It was at another woman's home in my neighborhood whom I had never met.

As soon as I walked in her lovely home, I felt so welcome. There were 7 of us total, and we had no agenda. It was just about having some tea/coffee/fruit and connecting in a positive way. We talked about our children, husbands, friends, personal lives etc. As we were talking, the topic came up of how important it is for women to connect with other women. And I had never really thought about this at a deep level, but it made so much sense to me.

Women are tough. You can't deny this. We bare children, people. And then after they destroy our bodies, we love and raise small people with no boundaries or restraint, all while they puke on us, lie to us, and tell us they hate us. This is not a job for the faint of heart. 

Women usually are the ones at home, as well as in corporate America, that handle all the bullshit (minutiae).  And we do this will a smile on our face and a can do attitude, because "we've got this". But where is the balance?

I really got the value today of supporting and loving our fellow women. It's time to drop the drama, cattiness, jealousy, assumptions, and rivalry. I've been really lucky in the last few years to find several women friends. When I was younger, I had a hard time with the drama and backstabbing, so I was more of a loner. But I know now that I'm surrounded by a solid network of incredible, beautiful, smart, and creative women that lift me up daily. And I know I wouldn't be where I am today without that support.

And I love my husband too, but sometimes he just doesn't "get it". Men and women are very different, and that's all part of the master plan. But don't lose value in the incredible support you can gain by opening your heart to your fellow women friends!

Love all my girls!
K

No comments:

Post a Comment