Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Lamb

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
-Ernest Hemingway

You will hear me talk a lot about integrity and authenticity, as I firmly believe that they are key to a full and happy life. And amazingly, every one of has those moments of pure bliss when we are truly living in the moment, and enjoying it. As I reflect on my life, I see a few moments of clarity and authenticity, and in those moments, I was so content. The rest of my 32 years, however, was filled with in-authenticity  fear, pain, judgement, labels, agendas, and ego. But recently, I have come to realize that no one could ever hurt me as much as I hurt myself. So I made the decision to stop with the self-hate.

As I went through this transformation, I realized that in myself I felt like I had somehow lost my innocence; I was unclean. But realized my perception of purity was so flawed. 

I think so many of us have this perception that we are somehow unclean, broken, and flawed because of our past and our mistakes, and also for our current desires. Desire is something that is a positive emotion. (We shouldn't be ashamed of things that bring us pleasure, as long as they ultimately don't cause us pain.) Then we just give up on ourselves because of the extreme guilt, and then we lose our hope. It's so vital to understand that scars have their value; they are reminders of how strong we were to survive, not to show us we were once wounded.

If you are Christian, scripture refers to this innocence as the lamb. I believe this is the difference between knowledge and wisdom. We are and have been living in an age of Knowledge. Knowledge is the acquiring of facts and data, not the application of the data. Wisdom is being able to discern between what is right and just in said knowledge. If we can reconcile the two, it leads to Insight, which is the ability to see "clearly", and that there is a bigger picture outside of our own ego. Then we can apply the knowledge for the greater good, which is the ultimate goal.

By definition, Innocence is a lack of guilt, void of ego, and optimistic view of self/world. And loss of innocence is simply an increased awareness of evil, pain, or suffering, in ourselves and the world around us. Innocence isn't directly related to your mistakes and errors in judgement. We all have so much to give but we are hindered by our own pain. I have come to believe lately that the innocence that we are searching for is reconciling the knowledge with wisdom to gain and apply insight with integrity into all aspects of life.

I see so many people in pain around me daily. I see truly good people that are just so sad, and don't have any idea where to turn. My challenge would be to strive to be more authentic, not necessarily positive (read attached article I read this morning).Stop Being Positive...

We all want and desire something real, something to make us feel. We all want to love, be loved, and be comfortable enough to expose our real selves. Why not start with us? Yea, we may have some discomfort, but that is a feeling, right?

Something to think about,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment